Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Invitation Request to the Chicago Objectivist Society

These types of open-ended questions always elicit my most passionate writing.

Please introduce yourself:

Hello COS. My name is DeAngelo Jones. I am 25 years old and a graduate of DePaul University. I am currently employed in finance at United Way of Metropolitan Chicago. I became acquainted with the works of Ayn Rand about 2 years when I read The Fountainhead for the first time. I was so enthralled by the message of The Fountainhead that I immediately picked up Atlas Shrugged and hungrily read it day and night. I am now in the the process of reading The Virtue of Selfishness and Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand and look forward to expanding my understanding of Rand's philosophy and, most importantly, applying it to my life so that I may develop an ethics by which I may have a richer, fuller existence.

Tell us about your interest in Objectivism:

As long as I can remember I've always been a goal-oriented individual that placed my primary concern in my own achievement and my own effort. From my earliest days of schooling, my achievements were passively acknowledged by my teachers (as if overachievement were a malady or dificiency) and were completely abhorred by my peers. As I grew older, I began to realize that the world placed a premium on group think, on giving to others at one's expense, and at hiding one's grand achievements as if they were an open sore. The world seemed to operate in an inverse fashion to what seemed logical to me. It wasn't until I was introduced to Rand's work that I had to words to describe what I had experienced all of these years and to know that it was okay for me to object to what I was seeing and experiencing. I've studied the ancient mysteries, studied the world's religions, been initiated into many secret orders, and now I work for a non-profit. In all of these settings, the teachings are the same - that we should give and not expect to receive justly, that God in heaven sees our good works, and that we will be justly rewarded in the afterlife. All of these forms of myticism have one thing in common - they claim to enhance life but they secretly worship death. I adore Rand's philosophy because it postulates that A is indeed A, that human life is an end unto itself, and that our primary concern should not be placed in other people (or in some mystical being for which we cannot empirically prove its existence but our told to "have faith) but in our own might and ability. What we can see with our two eyes, hear with our two ears, and calculate with the inestimable ability of the human mind. That is the genesis of my interest in Objectivism and it grows deeper and deeper with each waking moment that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment