Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Response to Tribune Article on Former DePaul Men's Basketball Coach Jerry Wainwright

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0310-haugh-depaul-jerry-wainwright20100309,0,654152.column

Before I attended and graduated from DePaul in 2006 I had the opportunity to attend a summer camp for two years at DePaul when I was 8-9 years old. We had our sports activities inside of Aumni Hall. I met Ray Meyer and some of the players. I decided that I was going to attend DePaul at that moment. When I arrived on campus the last bricks of Alumni Hall were giving way to a new (and much needed) student center. I'm sure that the university could've found land for a new arena in lieu of loft apartments that aren't even connected with the school. I would contribute as much monetarily as I'm able to if DePaul makes a commitment to bring men's basketball back on campus.

I disagree that Chicago is no longer a college basketball town. UIC, Loyola, and Northwestern all get great support from their students, alumni, and local residents. What do they all have in common?

I also disagree that DePaul made a mistake leaving Conference USA for the Big East. There is more media coverage because of the east coast market and thus more media dollars. it's up to Jean Lenti Ponsetto to invest those dollars back into the programs that generate them. I'm sure the Environmental Sciences and Chemistry faculty can do without another new building for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment